Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Jazzfest is up Options
deapeasea0000
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 12:42:33 PM
Groups: Member

I'm all locked in for September. We're driving over from Austin and can sadly only manage three nights before we drive up to Memphis, but we're gonna make em count. Pretty tempted to do Bullets on the Thursday night, though the cautious traveler in me is a little concerned I'll be outta my depth there... I'll do my best to suck it up!

After your advice, Pete, I think we'll stay in Marigny and we'll steer clear of AirBnB - seems like a moral minefield.
repete
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 1:50:37 PM

deapeasea0000 wrote:
I'm all locked in for September. We're driving over from Austin and can sadly only manage three nights before we drive up to Memphis, but we're gonna make em count. Pretty tempted to do Bullets on the Thursday night, though the cautious traveler in me is a little concerned I'll be outta my depth there... I'll do my best to suck it up!

After your advice, Pete, I think we'll stay in Marigny and we'll steer clear of AirBnB - seems like a moral minefield.

Good stuff! You'll be fine at Bullets, the patrons are a great friendly crowd and the diner outside has the best burgers on planet earth! Just take a cab or uber there and back. Also, see who's on at the Hi Ho Lounge, The Maple Leaf and Tipitina's and take a a walk down Frenchmen Street and pick a club. That's barely scratching the surface. And avoid Bourbon Street like the plague.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 4:50:58 PM

deapeasea0000 wrote:

Let me know when you will be in town?

I plan to be back mid September. And could be able to point you in the some right directions

Airbnb is a big issue in Nola and the fun and games are warming up, after Airbnb did some stuff to annoy the council earlier this week.

They are causing lots of problems and do not give a shit, and neither do a lot of the out of town owners, who are well in the majority reeling in a profit from it, nor do some of the local owners as well.

Although one of my mates has a legal one. So he tells me
deapeasea0000
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 2:55:53 PM

regards wrote:
deapeasea0000 wrote:

I plan to be back mid September. And could be able to point you in the some right directions

Airbnb is a big issue in Nola and the fun and games are warming up, after Airbnb did some stuff to annoy the council earlier this week.

They are causing lots of problems and do not give a shit, and neither do a lot of the out of town owners, who are well in the majority reeling in a profit from it, nor do some of the local owners as well.

Pretty much locked in for Sep 12 - 15. Do let me know if you'll be around!
regards
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:11:10 PM

deapeasea0000 wrote:
regards wrote:
deapeasea0000 wrote:

I arrive back on Tuesday September 11 with luck.

So I will be out and about

It is probably a bit early for Jazz in the Park to start again on Thursdays but there will still be lots on and it will still be pretty warm.

I will keep you posted
deapeasea0000
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 10:25:56 AM

regards wrote:
deapeasea0000 wrote:
regards wrote:
deapeasea0000 wrote:

I arrive back on Tuesday September 11 with luck.

So I will be out and about

It is probably a bit early for Jazz in the Park to start again on Thursdays but there will still be lots on and it will still be pretty warm.

I will keep you posted

Awesome! We're pretty keen to catch Kermit on Thursday so not too worried about Jazz in the Park. We're always open to suggestions though!

deapeasea0000
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2018 11:47:18 AM

repete wrote:
avoid Bourbon Street like the plague.

sadly my travel companions have insisted on staying on bourbon. doesn't mean i plan on spending much time there...
regards
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2018 12:22:34 PM

deapeasea0000 wrote:
repete wrote:
avoid Bourbon Street like the plague.

sadly my travel companions have insisted on staying on bourbon. doesn't mean i plan on spending much time there...

There are some good hotels on Bourbon, but it all about position.

Several years ago, I stayed at the Four Points for one night, which was fine, but noisy at the front.

You can still find some decent music and some great musos on there, but the place after about 9 PM becomes a magnet for idiots especially on the weekends, when the gangs and morons from all over the place converge on there

People we know run a cool little bar just off Bourbon on Saint Louis called B Macs that we gravitate to quite often, but we try to avoid Bourbon in the process.
deapeasea0000
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 11:13:58 AM

yeah safe to say i did NOT enjoy my time on Bourbon...

The rest of the city though: what a place! Gotta get back...
repete
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 12:19:15 PM

deapeasea0000 wrote:
yeah safe to say i did NOT enjoy my time on Bourbon...

The rest of the city though: what a place! Gotta get back...

I'd love to hear your tales!!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
nelson7007
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 5:55:03 PM

So am starting to think I should try and do Jazzfest next year, it being the 50th anniversary and all, am not getting any younger and likely to be a memorable event. Because of the dates we wEre thinking do Bluesfest, rest up for few days and then aim for the second weekend in NO by flying in at start of the week before.

To messrs repete and regards and others who have been before, My questions are many:

Have you ever done both festivals when dates have been so close?
What the best and $ realistic accommodation options now that local authorities seem to be targeting Airbnb which we used when we were in town in 2015?
When do tickets go on sale? Is it Early January?
Previously been suggested can buy tickets at gate as doesn’t sell out but who knows for 50th. Thoughts?
Are the official ticket/accommodation packages reasonable given everything goes up in price when jazzfest is on?
Or is it best to get accommodation locked in early?
Are any of the VIP options worth it just for the little bit of shade and quieter surrounds among the mayhem? I like the look of wwoz brass pass even though it for seven days if only because of stations connection to the festival.

Many more questions but welcome any feedback.

Ps) our brief experience of crazy part of Bourbon was surreal. Sodom and Gomorrah for about 100 metres then turned a corner to immediately find extraordinary peace and quiet and a return to civility. Very weird.

repete
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2018 2:02:16 AM

nelson7007 wrote:
So am starting to think I should try and do Jazzfest next year, it being the 50th anniversary and all, am not getting any younger and likely to be a memorable event. Because of the dates we wEre thinking do Bluesfest, rest up for few days and then aim for the second weekend in NO by flying in at start of the week before.

To messrs repete and regards and others who have been before, My questions are many:

What the best and $ realistic accommodation options now that local authorities seem to be targeting Airbnb which we used when we were in town in 2015?
Previously been suggested can buy tickets at gate as doesn’t sell out but who knows for 50th. Thoughts?
Are the official ticket/accommodation packages reasonable given everything goes up in price when jazzfest is on?
Are any of the VIP options worth it just for the little bit of shade and quieter surrounds among the mayhem? I like the look of wwoz brass pass even though it for seven days if only because of stations connection to the festival.

Ps) our brief experience of crazy part of Bourbon was surreal. Sodom and Gomorrah for about 100 metres then turned a corner to immediately find extraordinary peace and quiet and a return to civility. Very weird.

Hi Nelson...don't leave it too late for accommodation! You're really pushing it at this stage but I have left it almost this late in the past and found rooms. Pretty much everything else can wait but you need to get on to accommodation very soon. I can't comment on Airbnb and you should know it's very unpopular with locals as it's wrecking communities and NOLA is all about community. That leaves more traditional bnb's which are really funky, but you will be paying quite a bit for a room as it's jazzfest. And chances are most are already booked although you may be able to find a room for the second weekend somewhere. As with a lot of other people, we booked our room before departing after this year's fest. Have a look here: https://www.bedandbreakfast.com/new-orleans-louisiana.html But start looking asap! Hotels may be a better bet and sometimes you can get a room at a bargain rate but I've never stayed in a hotel in NOLA. But you really should get it sorted now and not wait longer. have I said that enough times!! lol
Tickets usually go on sale January/February following the announcement of the bill, although brass passes are on sale now from wwoz at $US600 per person which gets you admission to a cool chill out space, clean toilets (which you will appreciate late in the day) and fresh fruit as well as the festival. Plus you are contributing to a really worthwhile cause. The brass pass is better value for money than a VIP ticket but there are quiet spaces at the festival without either - we plant chairs under a beautiful old tree between the Gentilly Stage and Congo Square and close to the Fais Do Do stage and wander, coming back from time to time to rest; the Lagniappe Stage is within the grandstand and is shaded with seats and some really good music.
I'm unable to comment on ticket/accommodation packages.
It's a bummer easter is so late next year but I would be dead certain Regards will be making both fests including both weekends of jazzfest and recovering afterwards. I won't be at bluesfest next year. Take a deep breath and see if you can do it too. There is so much happening between both weekends it would be a shame to miss some/most of it (consider flying out on the Wednesday am after bluesfest...that gives you a day recovery in oz, plus you'll arrive in NOLA the evening you fly out and have another recovery day before hitting jazzfest in a daze). It's do-able and it is the 50th anniversary after all. But get moving on the accommodation!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
nelson7007
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2018 5:29:47 AM

repete wrote:
nelson7007 wrote:

Hi Nelson...don't leave it too late for accommodation! You're really pushing it at this stage but I have left it almost this late in the past and found rooms. Pretty much everything else can wait but you need to get on to accommodation very soon. I can't comment on Airbnb and you should know it's very unpopular with locals as it's wrecking communities and NOLA is all about community. That leaves more traditional bnb's which are really funky, but you will be paying quite a bit for a room as it's jazzfest. And chances are most are already booked although you may be able to find a room for the second weekend somewhere. As with a lot of other people, we booked our room before departing after this year's fest. Have a look here: https://www.bedandbreakfast.com/new-orleans-louisiana.html But start looking asap! Hotels may be a better bet and sometimes you can get a room at a bargain rate but I've never stayed in a hotel in NOLA. But you really should get it sorted now and not wait longer. have I said that enough times!! lol
Tickets usually go on sale January/February following the announcement of the bill, although brass passes are on sale now from wwoz at $US600 per person which gets you admission to a cool chill out space, clean toilets (which you will appreciate late in the day) and fresh fruit as well as the festival. Plus you are contributing to a really worthwhile cause. The brass pass is better value for money than a VIP ticket but there are quiet spaces at the festival without either - we plant chairs under a beautiful old tree between the Gentilly Stage and Congo Square and close to the Fais Do Do stage and wander, coming back from time to time to rest; the Lagniappe Stage is within the grandstand and is shaded with seats and some really good music.
I'm unable to comment on ticket/accommodation packages.
It's a bummer easter is so late next year but I would be dead certain Regards will be making both fests including both weekends of jazzfest and recovering afterwards. I won't be at bluesfest next year. Take a deep breath and see if you can do it too. There is so much happening between both weekends it would be a shame to miss some/most of it (consider flying out on the Wednesday am after bluesfest...that gives you a day recovery in oz, plus you'll arrive in NOLA the evening you fly out and have another recovery day before hitting jazzfest in a daze). It's do-able and it is the 50th anniversary after all. But get moving on the accommodation!!

Message received and understood! Thanks for the advice. Onto it.

regards
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2018 10:06:40 AM

Hi Guys

I have had major computer problems and had to buy a new laptop here in Nola, but am back in business now.

The BluesFest bored then did not recognise my new laptop but I finally remembered my old password.

I will be brief as it is 7PM here and I am about to head out to catch friends at the Oktoberfest next to Bayou Saint John.

Tickets are and will be no drama.

I have done VIP a couple of times, but did not have to pay for it.

It was great with ease of viewing and movement to get a beer and to the dunnie.

I plan to be doing both Fests next year, and unless some thing happens with my mothers health that will be the case.

I have done it before a few years back and Zanex worked wonders

Flights are very exy at the present for leaving the Wednesday after Easter due to it being School holidays I suppose.

I will comment more on Hotel and stuff a bit later on.

Geaux Saints
nelson7007
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 12:57:20 PM

Jazzfest is really making it hard this year by adding an extra day at the start meaning the 50th anniversary event is over eight days and now begins two days after Bluesfest finishes. Got the NO accommodation sorted for both weekends but may just have to miss the first day. Big rumour the Rolling Stones will be appearing and their just released North American tour dates have a nice gap for the second weekend. All will be revealed in December.
In terms of VIP I will settle for radio station WWOZ’s Brass Pass which offers shade, fruit and a place to sit down which is all we will need. And some of the money goes to keeping the station going.

Ps) saints going very nicely I see

repete
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 1:50:30 PM

nelson7007 wrote:
Jazzfest is really making it hard this year by adding an extra day at the start meaning the 50th anniversary event is over eight days and now begins two days after Bluesfest finishes. Got the NO accommodation sorted for both weekends but may just have to miss the first day. Big rumour the Rolling Stones will be appearing and their just released North American tour dates have a nice gap for the second weekend. All will be revealed in December.
In terms of VIP I will settle for radio station WWOZ’s Brass Pass which offers shade, fruit and a place to sit down which is all we will need. And some of the money goes to keeping the station going.

Yes, rearranging the schedule is causing grief for a few people. Apparently Mick has let the cat out of the bag so the Stones are virtually a lock in for the second Thursday. I'm not sure I will seek out tickets for that day as it will be pricey and a stand alone event, not really jazzfest. I'll wait to see who else will be on the bill before deciding (now, if The Kinks are also there then I'm in!!). The bill will be announced very soon!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
deapeasea0000
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 3:54:40 PM

i miss new orleans :-(
nelson7007
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 4:02:16 PM

repete wrote:
nelson7007 wrote:

Yes, rearranging the schedule is causing grief for a few people. Apparently Mick has let the cat out of the bag so the Stones are virtually a lock in for the second Thursday. I'm not sure I will seek out tickets for that day as it will be pricey and a stand alone event, not really jazzfest. I'll wait to see who else will be on the bill before deciding (now, if The Kinks are also there then I'm in!!). The bill will be announced very soon!

They must be costing the earth because even the WWOZ pass excludes that Thursday. Unheard of apparently and, as you say, not really Jazzfest. Can imagine Bluesfest’ patrons response if something like that happened.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:32:50 PM
Groups: Administration

Like with Bob Dylan in 2011?
nelson7007
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 9:01:53 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
Like with Bob Dylan in 2011?

Sorry admin unsure what point you making as 2011 before my BF time.