Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

First Time Camper Options
reader57
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2018 8:14:15 AM
Groups: Member

I will be camping for the first time in 2019. I am planning on arriving on the Wednesday but I haven't locked in a time yet.

From your collective experience, is there an optimum time to arrive on the Wednesday to minimise queues and wait times.
I would imagine there is a fairly large group trying to get in when the gates first open. Does it thin out at anytime?

It's not that I am grumpy or impatient; I am just intolerant!
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2018 8:27:33 AM

Always thought it good to arrive as early as possible to get your wristbands - set up and then catch the bus into town
As I always tried to see the full program each day I tend to conserve my energy - chill out till the gates open so the Wednesday visit
may be the only time I go to town
As people travel from all directions and vastly different distances I suspect no peak hour can be predicted - could be wrong
Also a few years back a fatal accident around Ballina delayed me for 3 hours so having time on your side is preferable

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
youngbill
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2018 6:01:12 PM

When I've arrived on the wednesday I don't recall much queuing for entry. Someone may recall how camp sites are allocated, ie is the first person in sent to the farthest point in the paddock to camp? I've never been there early enough to know.

Personally I prefer a shorter stroll from my camp to the fest gates during festivities so would prefer not to be one of the earliest arrivals if it meant I would be banished to the boondocks.

By the same token I do not recommend screwing around most of your life, culminating in not making it there until late thursday arvo, being the first person sent to the overflow camping area (Carpark) & so missing Lukas Nelson's first set. No sir, I do not recommend it at all.
reader57
Posted: Friday, September 07, 2018 10:19:55 AM

youngbill wrote:
Someone may recall how camp sites are allocated, ie is the first person in sent to the farthest point in the paddock to camp? I've never been there early enough to know.

Perhaps Admin may chip in here with advice????
glenboss
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2018 9:52:03 PM

The earlier arrivals get the better sites depending a little bit on how far up the row they've filled when you actually get there. We usually arrive mid afternoon on the Wednesday and we've been given great spots every time and don't really experience any cues. We're the same as greybeard. Wednesday night is the only time we head into Byron. Catch the bus in. I think the last bus back is around 9.30 but we usually have a friend drive us back. During the festival we will not go anywhere near Byron.
Regards Glenboss