Rosie Ledet
Laurie Anderson
Pieta Brown
Bettye Lavette
Sarah Jarosz
Liz Wright
Ana Popovic
Suzanna Vega

...and more and more. The point being there is no lack of brilliant women artists and I have no doubt that bluesfest will be announcing many in the months to come. The first announcement was a bit of a screw up and could have been handled a whole lot better.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
c0kebloke
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 9:04:49 PM
Groups: Member

When it comes to female artists I’m surprised Carolyn Wonderland has never appeared at bf …her times overdue- http://carolynwonderland.com/video/

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 9:22:02 PM

If people would take the time out to see some of our local female artists, they might just see that it is not always about hits, but pure talent. Hussy Hicks absolutely smashed both of their sets last year. I'd love to see them crack it on one of the larger stages a touch later in the day than previously.

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
glenboss
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 9:35:05 PM

hifromtomorrow wrote:
A lot of commentary about the dearth of female artists in the first line up.
Going to be interesting to see a) if BF reply to that, and b) what that reply is.
A lot of negative commentary from female artists who've played BF in the past about that first announcement.

My wife and I have been walking throughout the Glass House Mountains National Park most of this week and as a result have very pleasantly spent the week without newspapers, TV, and the internet. The only reason I chose to plug into anything at all was the hear the 1st announcement which I thought was truly excellent. While I was in the bluesfest site I logged in to the forum and said so.

So now I’m wondering what I have missed. Reading though the forum since then, instead of reading all about the positives regarding this wonderful 1st announcement the whole discussion seems to have bogged down into this bullshit about male verses female. I just think it’s a really sad outcome.

So hifromtomorrow, has there been some serious media fall out or public controversy about it? I would just be interested to read about it. The only reason I’m putting the question to you is that you raised the matter.

Regards Glenboss
nelson7007
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2018 11:07:42 PM

Have to feel some sympathy for peter noble with all this gender balance nonsense when what we all want is the best talent available.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/melbourne/bluesfest-ceo-apologises-for-nazi-slur-to-woman-who-called-the-maleheavy-festival-a-sausagefest/news-story/6ff0cf036df89b2a6a85d70e1d97432b

But the golden rule of Comms is never send anything out you have written when you are angry. Wait until the morning, re-read it and then delete and start again!

bluesfestadmin
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 1:11:05 AM
Groups: Administration

You got one there Repete
Sarah Jarosz is a member of I’m With Her
repete
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 1:37:40 AM

nelson7007 wrote:
Have to feel some sympathy for peter noble with all this gender balance nonsense when what we all want is the best talent available.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/melbourne/bluesfest-ceo-apologises-for-nazi-slur-to-woman-who-called-the-maleheavy-festival-a-sausagefest/news-story/6ff0cf036df89b2a6a85d70e1d97432b

But the golden rule of Comms is never send anything out you have written when you are angry. Wait until the morning, re-read it and then delete and start again!

Thos are very wise words Nelson and I think it's good we just get everything back on track. As I said above, fest will be announcing some incredible women artists as they always do.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
repete
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 1:41:16 AM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
You got one there Repete
Sarah Jarosz is a member of I’m With Her

Thanks for the update on Sarah! I saw her at jazzfest some years ago with a string band for a sublime set :)

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
skot20_58
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 10:10:44 AM

repete wrote:
Fantastic list Human!!

I would also add:

Dianne Reeves
Dee Dee Bridgewater
Madeleine Peyroux
Esperanza Spalding
Mia Borders
Fiona Boyes
Mia Dyson
Marcia Ball
Eileen Jewell
Nikki Hill
Kylie Auldist
Kate Miller-Heike
Anoushka Shankar
Sharon Van Etten
Trixie Whitely
Regina Carter
Aurora Nealand
Patty Griffin
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Ann Peebles
Rosie Ledet
Laurie Anderson
Pieta Brown
Bettye Lavette
Sarah Jarosz
Liz Wright
Ana Popovic
Suzanna Vega

...and more and more. The point being there is no lack of brilliant women artists and I have no doubt that bluesfest will be announcing many in the months to come. The first announcement was a bit of a screw up and could have been handled a whole lot better.

A screw up?

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
humanracin
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 11:06:31 AM

I'm sure there are plenty of female artists yet to be announced.
But it would be wise to announce quite a few in the second announcement.
Punters wanting gender balanced festivals is nothing new, we have been asking festival organisers for this for the last decade.

Speaking of ladies, would love to see this one return:
demo of new song, new album next year.

https://pitchfork.com/news/magda-davitt-sinead-oconnor-shares-first-new-song-in-4-years-listen/
skot20_58
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 11:44:01 AM

humanracin wrote:
I'm sure there are plenty of female artists yet to be announced.
But it would be wise to announce quite a few in the second announcement.
Punters wanting gender balanced festivals is nothing new, we have been asking festival organisers for this for the last decade.

Speaking of ladies, would love to see this one return:
demo of new song, new album next year.

https://pitchfork.com/news/magda-davitt-sinead-oconnor-shares-first-new-song-in-4-years-listen/

I buy a ticket based on the lineup regardless of female male ratio. I’ve never once gone nope 2 many males or nope to many females not buying a ticket. The thought has never ever once crossed my mind. I mean c’mon life must be pretty bloody great if your someone choosing to attend a festival because of gender. Imagine those poor bastards in Northern Africa just trying to live and we are down here arguing over how many girls should play the most successful festival in Australian history. A festival that has been extremely diverse over the years. 💩

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
glenboss
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 12:47:57 PM

nelson7007 wrote:

I think that's why I have -2000 points although in my case it's usually the bottle of wine rather than any anger. That and the fact that I used to publish it and then the next morning, after I've re-read it, delete it and start again. But I've learnt. Sort of. I'm sure I'll lose more points.

Anyway, Bluesfest, I still say thank you for such an excellent announcement. I've have absolutely no doubts that it'll all even out in the long run. Always does.

Regards Glenboss

PS hifromtomorrow, the question has been answered so thanks anyway.
mccin0000
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 2:54:08 PM

Strongest first announcement in years.

I agree 100% with the directors response to these complete and utter idiots.

They should be the ones apologising for their ignorance. Absolute morons, we are taking the bait talking about them as if they have a shred of credibility.

humanracin
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 4:38:50 PM

No one realistically expects a 50/50 ratio of male to female artists at a festival.
And Bluesfest usually has a great mix of artists regardless of sex and race, this is true.
I guess the first announcement could have had 1 or 2 more women on it...
we probably wouldn't be debating about all this if it did.
To be honest the first announcement doesn't thrill me but it has nothing to do with sex, I just find a lot of those acts really dull and have seen many of them before.
But I'm looking forward to more announcements as there's always heaps of great acts to enjoy and something for everyone.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, August 04, 2018 6:49:51 PM

humanracin wrote:
No one realistically expects a 50/50 ratio of male to female artists at a festival.
And Bluesfest usually has a great mix of artists regardless of sex and race, this is true.
I guess the first announcement could have had 1 or 2 more women on it...
we probably wouldn't be debating about all this if it did.
To be honest the first announcement doesn't thrill me but it has nothing to do with sex, I just find a lot of those acts really dull and have seen many of them before.
But I'm looking forward to more announcements as there's always heaps of great acts to enjoy and something for everyone.

The story of the Emperor's new clothes emerges.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
nocheesegromit
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2018 9:36:36 AM

Deborah Conway was support for Suzanne Vega's recent tour. Was quite brilliant. Would be more than happy to see Suzanne Vega again. Was much better at the Enmore a couple of weeks ago, with backing band, than a couple of years ago on Delta. Melissa Etheridge and Sheryl Crow were fantastic last year. Melody Angel put on a great set a couple of years ago. When it gets down to it I don't base my choice of who I see based on their gender but more on whether I'd like to see and listen to them. Male, female, or whatever it'll come down to 'am I interested?'
But if I can put my 10 cents in, I'll ask for Angelique Kidjo, Kate Miller-Heidke, Regina Spektor, Valerie June, Mavis Staples, and Samantha Fish.