Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Jazzfest is up Options
valkrie
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2018 9:43:48 AM
Groups: Member

Sounds fantastic. I was listening all weekend on WWOZ recording from the festival. I heard Bobby Rush and was reminiscing back to Bluesfest. I also heard Tab Benoit doing a killer set. Please bring him to Bluesfest Peter!

I'm rather jelly, it's on my bucket list.
repete
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2018 1:58:04 AM

valkrie wrote:
Sounds fantastic. I was listening all weekend on WWOZ recording from the festival. I heard Bobby Rush and was reminiscing back to Bluesfest. I also heard Tab Benoit doing a killer set. Please bring him to Bluesfest Peter!

Thank god for WWOZ! It seems you have listened to some fabulous music. Second weekend starts tomorrow but already this week I have seen a ton of music at Piano Night (Davell Crawford, Ellis Marsalis, Jon Cleary, Marcia Ball etc) and then yesterday’s Threadhead fundraising patry which featured John Mooney, Lost Bayou Ramblers and the Stanton Moore trio (plus the amazing Erica Falls on vocals....omg, omg, omg!).

Bluesfest could do some investigating - the Stanton Moore trio features three of the finest musicians on planet earth and with the addition of Erica Falls would funk the fest like no-one else. And... I will say it again...bluesfest has NEVER had a Cajun band and it’s about bloody time - The Lost Bayou Ramblers are hot!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
valkrie
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2018 9:48:38 AM

I would love to see Erica Falls at Bluesfest. I found her awhile ago from this video 'Rock Steady' (Aretha's best song ever) which Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie is playing and also Oteil Burbridge on bass (who used to play with Tedeschi Trucks band).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcLC7hEb_ps

Check it out, it's very funky

repete
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2018 12:25:09 PM

valkrie wrote:
I would love to see Erica Falls at Bluesfest. I found her awhile ago from this video 'Rock Steady' (Aretha's best song ever) which Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie is playing and also Oteil Burbridge on bass (who used to play with Tedeschi Trucks band).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcLC7hEb_ps

Check it out, it's very funky

Vey nice :) At this stage I’m happy to miss Toots and The Maytals at fest to make sure I can see Erica at the Hi Ho Lounge tomorrow night - she is seriously that good.

Admin...I’m sure Mr Noble is over here. Get a message to him to get his ass over to the Hi Ho Lounge tomorrow night!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
valkrie
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2018 2:20:11 PM

Order me a Gin and Tonic, I'll be there!
repete
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 12:58:29 AM

valkrie wrote:
Order me a Gin and Tonic, I'll be there!

Shame you missed it....lol... it if you ever get the chance, grab it with both hands!

Another good day at jazzfest yesterday! The highlights were Honey Island Swamp Band and Cyril Neville. Old Crow Medicine Show sounded great as we left early to get ready to see Erica Falls.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
valkrie
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 9:45:46 AM

I’d love to see Honey Island Swamp Band at Bluesfest.

I’m currently listening to Ruthie Foster live at Jazzfest on WWOZ. She’s doing a killer set as usual.
repete
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 11:13:17 AM

valkrie wrote:
I’d love to see Honey Island Swamp Band at Bluesfest.

I’m currently listening to Ruthie Foster live at Jazzfest on WWOZ. She’s doing a killer set as usual.

Hey, cool! I was there!! Isn’t Ruthie fabulous? The song in the middle of the set dedicated to women brought a susta8ned standing ovation!
Other highlights today were Zachary Richard who was fantastic and interestingly sang mainly in English. I’ve been wanting to see him live for ages. Preservation Hall Jazz Band were absolutely incredible and just go from strength to strength They would burn down Mojo if they ever appear at bluesfest - no excuses for them not to be at the top of the invitation list for 2019. And I finally got to see CJ Chenier, son of Clifton, who had everyone in the blues tent dancing to his red hot zydedo.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
valkrie
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 5:40:17 PM

Sounds absolutely wonderful. You must be having the best time.

Do you know the name of the guy who sang with Ruthie? He was so good.

Have you seen Brother Tyrone and the Mindbenders? They need to be at Bluesfest 2019.
repete
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 11:44:58 PM

The guy singing with Ruthie was her guitarist but his name escapes me (it wasn’t he usual touring band).
I missed Brother Tyrone last Sunday....I went to “church” in the gospel tent and saw the Rocks of Harmony. They were great!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
repete
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 1:08:50 AM

It threatened to rain all day yesterday but after a few drops it finally cleared (today is perfect). Interesting day...a real mixed bag with an amazing conclusion. Corey Henry and The Treme Funktet kicked the day off with some deep Orleans funk (Corey would appear later in the day in Kermit Ruffins tribute to Louis Armstrong which simply demonstrates if you’re gonna blow a horn in New Orleans, you have to know the full canon off by heart).
Inspired by bluesfesters reports on Walter Trout I went over to the main stage for an astonishing showfrom this great guitarist. However, I was glad to get outta there as the crowd grew in anticipation of Aerosmith.
Danced in the “rain” to Jupiter and Okwess ( a fabulous Congolese Band who I saw at Womadelaide a few years ago and worthy of a bluesfest spot) at the Jazz and Heritage stage and after lunch and other refreshments I went to see them again in the Cultural Exchange pavilion. Then it was time for Kermit Ruffins tribute to Armstrong and it was a great show. Kermit is a great trumpet player and his infectious sense of humour had everyone laughing and smiling. It was a really different, but very good, festival experience.
Not wanting to go anywhere near the main stage and Aerosmith I opted for Anita Baker and omg what an amazing fest experience. I have never seen the Congo Square stage so packed...the audience stretching back to between the stalls and beyond the pathways and 90% African-American. I rarely say “beautiful audience” but this was (and an intriguing observation on segregation with the all white audience at Aerosmith). When she came on stage, all she could say was “Jesus mercy, will you have a look at this.” With her second song (and I don’t know her songs) as the band went into the opening few bars, the audience started singing, like a mass gospel choir, leaving Anita Baker speechless and emotionally quite overwhelmed...”thank you New Orleans, I don’t know what to say.” One of those amazing fest moments....
Final day today and the weather is sunny and warm:)

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
rstroud
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2018 11:38:14 AM

So Jealous Repete

Anita Baker has always been a favourite. Peter Noble please note. One of the best singers you will ever hear.

Rod S
repete
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2018 1:52:08 AM

rstroud wrote:
So Jealous Repete

Anita Baker has always been a favourite. Peter Noble please note. One of the best singers you will ever hear.

Rod S

Sorry...it won’t happen. Anita is retiring and jazzfest is the start of her retirement tour and there are no plans to take it beyond the US.
Yesterday at fest was the best day of the entire festival!! Pure quality everywhere and so many great shows missed. I started with Johnny Sansone who was in ripping form, with John Fohl (ex Lower 911) on guitar. Followed this up with Mia Borders, one sassy, funky singer with a fabulous voice (and a perfect fit for bluesfest). Then Galactic on the main stage with Erica Falls on vocals. I have to say, Galactic would make the perfect backing band for Erica, the chemistry was amazing (Galactic was further enhanced with Corey Henry on bone and Shamarr Allen on trumpet). If nobody believes me about how good Erica Falls is, Galactic’s set is available for download at jazzfest live.com.
Then it was off to the blues tent and omg omg omg. Mr Sipp, Mississippi blues man...remember that name. Security generally keeps the blues tent sitting down with a minimum of dancing. Well....they lost control as Mr Sipp urged, demanded the crowd get up, come to the stage and dance! This was the powerhouse blues performance of the entire festival and he must be invited to bluesfest next year. He is relentless, subversive and almost gospel like in the intensity of his singing and playing - ADMIN, TAKE NOTE...THAT IS TWO MUST HAVES, ERICA FALLS AND MR SIPP...NO EXCUSES.
It was time to catch my breath and go to see the divine Irma Thomas singing her gospel soul in the Gospel Tent. Irma never fails to amaze me, how is it possible she just gets better and better...she is ageless. And the gospel moves her to a whole different level...amazing!
And to end fest it was off to the Fais Do Do stage for Calexico who turned in a sublime set and quite different from previous sets I have seen from them....the perfect way to end the day and fest 2018.
Next year is jazzfest’s 50th Anniversary and is guaranteed to be huge!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
valkrie
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 9:08:26 AM

Johnny Sansone was touring with Fiona Boyes in January 2018. I saw him at The Press Club in Canberra. He is quite a character and put on a great show.
repete
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 1:27:28 PM

valkrie wrote:
Johnny Sansone was touring with Fiona Boyes in January 2018. I saw him at The Press Club in Canberra. He is quite a character and put on a great show.

I saw him at the Newport Bowling Club in Melbourne. He was feeling a bit crook having drunk water from a rainwater tank in Meeniyan where a dead possum was found! I have to hand it to him, he put on a great show with Fiona and told quite a few funny stories. Another perfect fit for bluesfest.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Flegal08
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2018 3:53:45 PM

Totally agree, saw him and Fiona at the Royal Mail in Goodna. Great show and he is so laid back.
Would be perfect for Bluesfest.
regards
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 5:39:52 AM

valkrie wrote:
Sounds absolutely wonderful. You must be having the best time.

Have you seen Brother Tyrone and the Mindbenders? They need to be at Bluesfest 2019.

I saw Brother Tyrone the other day and enjoyed he and the band very much, as I always do.

He would go over very well, as would many others I have seen here in recent weeks.
regards
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 5:48:44 AM

valkrie wrote:

That's right

Tab would be great at BluesFest.

He is a coo, guy to boot.

Funnily enough we did not think that his JazzFest gig was one of his better ones that have seen in recent times.

His show at the Crawfish festival at Central City BBQ on the Wednesday between was a killer.

But he had to be on his game, because the NCF Southern Soul Review band before him, had been featuring guitar duels between Luther Dickinson and Roosevelt Collier, which was amazing, not to mention the rest of the band. Which was John Medeski. Ron Johnson and Terrence Higgins
regards
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 6:15:17 AM

repete wrote:
valkrie wrote:

I saw him at the Newport Bowling Club in Melbourne. He was feeling a bit crook having drunk water from a rainwater tank in Meeniyan where a dead possum was found! I have to hand it to him, he put on a great show with Fiona and told quite a few funny stories. Another perfect fit for bluesfest.

Hi Mate

Hope you are having fun in Cuba?

It was great to catch up with you guys several times.

And the Patry was a killer day, even if I do spend too much time changing beer barrels etc.

But you gotta do what you say you will.

The fun and games has not stopped here yet, but I am running out of steam.

Monday I saw Big Sam at LMF then it all became a blur at B Macs and elsewhere.

Tuesday was a bit of a recovery day, but we got to Tuba Fats Square for the annual Tuba Fats Tuesday celebration post Fest in the land next to the Candlelight Lounge.

There was a pick up band first with Calvin Johnson in it amongst others. And then it was the Andrews Family band and guests including Cory Henry, funnily enough James Andrews was standing next to us having a drink for a while but never got up to play with his relatives. These guys were really good and they finished up as it was getting dark, and we were about to head off. Then another brass band came marching down the street and they got up and played for another 20 minutes, then they marched off again. What a classic.

Wednesday I did a bit of much needed exercise on the pushie, and then we headed down to the Square to see Bonerama put on their normal great show, and we ended up at
Checkpoint watching T Bone Stone.

Yesterday was a bit of riding by the river followed by the Thursday arvo/night gig at Armstrong Park which featured Walter Wolfman Washington and Joe Krown, which was good as you would imagine. Then it was off to Rock N Bowl so Lisa can get some dancing in. But she was not feeling well, so we had a much needed early night.

I am not sure what tonight brings? But it will be an early one as we fly to Dallas at sparrows for Lisas Dads memorial party/ crawfish boil.

Which will be fun, as there are a lot of musicians in her family, as are some of her dads friends. So there is going to be a band of some description.

We fly back early on Sunday and will head out to Abita Springs for the Buskers Festival, which was great fun the last time we went.

And I think that next Monday and Tuesday will be recovery times at this stage.

Because after that we have Anders Osborne in the Square next Wednesday, James Andrews in Armstrong Park on Thursday then 3 days of the Bayou Boogalou to follow

Shit I better do a bit of riding early next week.

I loom forward to hearing of some of your adventures with Castro and Co.

Cheers

Regards

repete
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 11:08:29 AM

regards wrote:
repete wrote:
valkrie wrote:

Hi Mate

Hope you are having fun in Cuba?

It was great to catch up with you guys several times.

And the Patry was a killer day, even if I do spend too much time changing beer barrels etc.

But you gotta do what you say you will.

The fun and games has not stopped here yet, but I am running out of steam.

Monday I saw Big Sam at LMF then it all became a blur at B Macs and elsewhere.

Tuesday was a bit of a recovery day, but we got to Tuba Fats Square for the annual Tuba Fats Tuesday celebration post Fest in the land next to the Candlelight Lounge.

There was a pick up band first with Calvin Johnson in it amongst others. And then it was the Andrews Family band and guests including Cory Henry, funnily enough James Andrews was standing next to us having a drink for a while but never got up to play with his relatives. These guys were really good and they finished up as it was getting dark, and we were about to head off. Then another brass band came marching down the street and they got up and played for another 20 minutes, then they marched off again. What a classic.

Wednesday I did a bit of much needed exercise on the pushie, and then we headed down to the Square to see Bonerama put on their normal great show, and we ended up at
Checkpoint watching T Bone Stone.

Yesterday was a bit of riding by the river followed by the Thursday arvo/night gig at Armstrong Park which featured Walter Wolfman Washington and Joe Krown, which was good as you would imagine. Then it was off to Rock N Bowl so Lisa can get some dancing in. But she was not feeling well, so we had a much needed early night.

I am not sure what tonight brings? But it will be an early one as we fly to Dallas at sparrows for Lisas Dads memorial party/ crawfish boil.

Which will be fun, as there are a lot of musicians in her family, as are some of her dads friends. So there is going to be a band of some description.

We fly back early on Sunday and will head out to Abita Springs for the Buskers Festival, which was great fun the last time we went.

And I think that next Monday and Tuesday will be recovery times at this stage.

Because after that we have Anders Osborne in the Square next Wednesday, James Andrews in Armstrong Park on Thursday then 3 days of the Bayou Boogalou to follow

Shit I better do a bit of riding early next week.

I loom forward to hearing of some of your adventures with Castro and Co.

Cheers

Regards

Cuba was something else and I would love to go back notwithstanding the 38 hours it took to get home from Havana! There is an unbelievable energy there as the country starts to open up, especially in the arts...music, painting, sculpture, literature...being driven by young people. Unfortunately, I came down with a virus virtually on the day of arrival (excessive partying in NOLA....lol) so was out of action for a week as I recovered but I certainly made up for it. Havana is amazing, simply amazing on so many levels. The art, the music, the crumbling architecture and layer upon layer of history. Oh yes, and all the old American cars! But World Heritage listed Trinidad on the south coast is also amazing and even more so, Santiago de Cuba on the east coast which is closer to Jamaica and Haiti than Havana and you can feel those influences. I loved Santiago (shame about the 15 hour bus trip to get there, and back, but after a plane crash there was no way I was going to fly!). The music in Santiago (the home of son and Buena Vista Social Club founder Eliades Ochoa) is really earthy and we caught a great show at the Casa de la Trova. I was led to believe that the street hustle in Santiago was full on but I found the people wonderful, funny and really welcoming. We stayed in a rough part of town down near the docks but became a part of the community within a couple of days. Back in Havana, there is music everywhere, much of it fairly generic Cuban music but played with a really high level of skill and feeling...the musicianship is of the highest level. I simply love the sinuous sensual interplay between double bass and percussion that is so intrinsic to pretty much every form of Cuban music. The real highlight was stumbling across an Afro Cuban community in and around a small street called Callejon de Hamel. The street art is sensational and the rumba driven music deeply rooted in Africa and the Santeria spiritual religion...you really feel the closeness of Africa and when you connect it with the mardi gras indians in NOLA (and the social aid and pleasure clubs) start to see the broad dimensions of Africa in the Caribbean. And also appreciate that there is so much more to Caribbean music than reggae (as much as I love reggae).
It helps a lot to speak Spanish...I wish I was more fluent but at least have enough for the essentials. Plus I continued my experience of drinking with ghosts - after absinthe with the ghosts of Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain and Walt Whitman in New Orleans, it was daiquiris with Hemingway in Havana and mojitos with Graham Greene in Santiago. Btw, Cuba would have to be one of the safest countries on earth to travel in...no guns, such a contrast to NOLA!! Oh, the internet is crap which is why I'm only replying now....lol. I would recommend it to anyone - go now, go with an open mind, expect the unexpected and be prepared to be amazed!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen