Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

best Bluesfest performances Options
nocheesegromit
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 5:34:57 PM
Groups: Member

I saw Solomon Burke in 2004 too. Was blown away. The wife had gone home early, the next day she went and saw him. What a great set.
Also in 2004 Ash Grunwald in the Juke Joint. Had to climb through a window to get in, but I was hooked. Took years to get to another Bluesfest; about to go to my 6th in a row.
Frank Turner and The Sleeping Souls put on a great set a few years ago. Had me dancing like there was no tomorrow. So many acts. Gary Clarke Jr finishing the day in Jambalaya. The Beat in Delta - so many dads dancing their way through their memories.
So many artists ticked off the bucket list that I never thought I'd get to see. Suzanne Vega (a dream come true), Melissa Etheridge, Mick Fleetwood and it goes on.
comanche
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 8:09:06 PM

Joe Bonamassa

I had seen Joe a few times before his first BluesFest appearance. I knew what he was about, so I made my way early to his tent to secure a seat.

I remember the guy next to me that couldn't stop swearing after each fluid pentatonic run in exasperation at Joe's prowess.

Interesting memories of a great performance, and a person who had witnesses for the first time how electric blues could be played.

Loved it!
pod2006
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 9:21:52 PM

Cannot begin to scratch the surface, however:

the following have played multiple years, but the years with double sets blew me away:
Double sets by Tedeschi Trucks Band- 2nd set Derek had injured his slide finger, so Susan did the hard yards and shredded. You'll never see that set again. The spontaneity of live music rules.
Double sets by John Fogarty
Double sets by Gary Clark jnr

And the Avett brothers; Yes; 10CC, Roger Hodgson, and generally the 1st time you see one of the blues world's icons.
glenboss
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 9:47:24 PM

pod2006 wrote:

The most surreal moment I’ve ever had at Bluesfest was watching John Fogerty in 2012. I was 56 at the time and I was really enjoying the show. Me and friends were big Creedence fans at school and that was 40 years ago. Anyway I was there with both my sons and halfway through the show I looked at them and I could tell they were enjoying the show as much as I was. It was just like watching a flashback of myself enjoying music from 40 years earlier. It was just surreal.
valkrie
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 12:38:09 PM

Sounds like a priceless moment Glenboss
valkrie
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 12:46:53 PM

One of my standout moments was:

2016 - Tedeschi Trucks Band 2nd show, when they played ‘The Storm’. Derek’s solo and Kebbi’s sax solo were mind blowing and also Susan’s vocals on ‘Get by with a little help from my friends’.

c0kebloke
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 5:58:29 AM

glenboss wrote:
pod2006 wrote:

The most surreal moment I’ve ever had at Bluesfest was watching John Fogerty in 2012. I was 56 at the time and I was really enjoying the show. Me and friends were big Creedence fans at school and that was 40 years ago. Anyway I was there with both my sons and halfway through the show I looked at them and I could tell they were enjoying the show as much as I was. It was just like watching a flashback of myself enjoying music from 40 years earlier. It was just surreal.

I noticed quite a few younger people at the set I went to.
A few people had a chat to me after the show finished & I asked why this music when you have so much more modern music you could be enjoying.
They had all grown up listening to their parents music and loved CCR…nice to know music isn’t as generationally confined as it was back when I was the same age.

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 5:48:18 PM

just had a flashback,and I have to add a moment...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IBYvXxKZ8A

sorry beth,its been too long.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.