Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Jazzfest is up Options
repete
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 6:25:04 AM
Groups: Member

The jazzfest bill has been announced:

https://youtu.be/bNmY9Eyq5y0

A few big surprises - no Dr John or Meters/Funky Meters. The Doctor is not very well, nor is Art Neville.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
littlewillie
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 6:58:20 AM

That's an incredible line up.

Wishing I could go!
jandjhill0000
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5:29:55 PM

littlewillie wrote:
That's an incredible line up.

Wishing I could go!

And me....... on the bucket list. Great artists- a few of which we'll see here over Easter.Applause
regards
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 2:37:39 PM

repete wrote:

A few big surprises - no Dr John or Meters/Funky Meters. The Doctor is not very well, nor is Art Neville.

Hi Mate

Good solid line up with out too many superstars. Which does not worry me

You are correct about the Doctor and Art, sadly Charles Neville is also unwell.

The rumours are that the Doctor will play some part in the Fats Domino tribute.

We can only hope

Look forward to catching up with you and the Mrs in Nola if not before.

Where you staying?
rstroud
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 9:07:14 PM

repete wrote:

Anita Baker. One of the best singers !

Rod S
repete
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 9:55:35 PM

regards wrote:
repete wrote:

Hi Mate

We can only hope

Where you staying?

G'day mate. I'm very happy with the line up but I'm really sad about Mac and Art. Hoping the Doctor can play a part in the Fats tribute. The only two BNA's I'll have a look at are Aretha and David Byrne and the rest of the time I'll immerse myself in the local musicians plus some of the African and Latin American acts.

We'll be staying a few nights in the Garden District pre-fest which is close to Oak Street and my Tuesday night fix of Rebirth at The Maple Leaf plus a bellyful of fine creole cuisine at Jacques-Imo's next door. Then during fest we're over at the Lion's Inn in Marigny which is within staggering distance of The Patry (assuming it will again be held at The Iron Works in Bywater).

Btw, I was looking out for you at the Johnny Sansone/Fiona Boyes show the other week. It was a fabulous show and the big fella was in fine form with lots of good music and a few hilarious tales. Apparently he was feeling a bit crook from drinking water from a tank the night before somewhere in Gippsland which he discovered later had a dead possum in it! Now that's a tale to take back to southern Louisiana! Also, Fiona made mention of him spotting a bush turkey in the parking lot of the pub he played at in Byron, asking if it was something that could go into the pot with some hot peppers....until someone told him it's a protected species. I loved the way he mostly played out in country towns and immersed himself in the culture! Gotta catch him in NOLA.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 11:31:41 AM

repete wrote:
regards wrote:
repete wrote:

Hi Mate

We can only hope

Where you staying?

G'day mate. I'm very happy with the line up but I'm really sad about Mac and Art. Hoping the Doctor can play a part in the Fats tribute. The only two BNA's I'll have a look at are Aretha and David Byrne and the rest of the time I'll immerse myself in the local musicians plus some of the African and Latin American acts.

We'll be staying a few nights in the Garden District pre-fest which is close to Oak Street and my Tuesday night fix of Rebirth at The Maple Leaf plus a bellyful of fine creole cuisine at Jacques-Imo's next door. Then during fest we're over at the Lion's Inn in Marigny which is within staggering distance of The Patry (assuming it will again be held at The Iron Works in Bywater).

Btw, I was looking out for you at the Johnny Sansone/Fiona Boyes show the other week. It was a fabulous show and the big fella was in fine form with lots of good music and a few hilarious tales. Apparently he was feeling a bit crook from drinking water from a tank the night before somewhere in Gippsland which he discovered later had a dead possum in it! Now that's a tale to take back to southern Louisiana! Also, Fiona made mention of him spotting a bush turkey in the parking lot of the pub he played at in Byron, asking if it was something that could go into the pot with some hot peppers....until someone told him it's a protected species. I loved the way he mostly played out in country towns and immersed himself in the culture! Gotta catch him in NOLA.

Hi Mate

I arrive the Tuesday prior to Fest and might catch you on the Streetcar as Lisas pad is just off Saint Charles near the corner of Napoleon and Prytania.

Superior Seafood around the corner has 50 cent oysters during happy hour, so that is cool.

With luck there will be a good act in the square that Wednesday

We are staying in the quarter for the whole Fest period though. But sadly my long term condo on Chartres is not available due to the new laws, which my friend is very pissed off about and she is now going to begrudgingly have to sell.

Anyway I will not be that far from you, as we are going to stay at a friends little apartment upstairs near the corner of Gov Nichols and Burgundy, so I am still close to Verti Marte. And a walkable distance to Fest.

I intend to watch as many of the old krewe as possible as things do not sound too promising for the Doctor and Charlie Neville battling pancreatic cancer is hard, and Art has never been the same since his back operation.

Post fest we go back to Lisas and I hang around for a while until the Bayou Boogaloo. This may be my last long trip for a while as Mum is now in her 90th year. and I have moved around the corner back in to the family home, to keep an eye on her, or vice versa. which is interesting but I am sort of surviving..

I have been very busy work wise since mid December and was unable to get to see Jumping Jonny. I look forward to asking him how he enjoyed his trip down here, as I seem to run in to him all the time as he walks around Fest. Sounds like it was a good show. I normally catch up with Rob Rowe from the Way Out West Club during Fest time the last few years.

On another note if you are near my neck of the woods on Sunday Feb 18, I am organising a fund raiser for our sports club and we have Richard Clapton as our main act.

Also maybe we can up in March as Lisa is coming out on March 4, and I have no doubt that you and Kristie would enjoy a drink with a born and bred Nola girl.

The Patry is still going to be the IronWorks according to my last discussion with Ken and then maybe next year we plan to move to the new Deutsch House site near Bayou Saint John just down from where the General Beauregarde statue used to be.

Anyway enough from me. I am going to go for a swim near Table Rock before it gets even hotter.

Cheers
spanner1
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 12:22:19 PM

I am so envious of you guys and your regular attendancein Nola. Must come with sometime. Have booked blues cruise out of Florida in Feb next year. They usually have fantastic line ups on board.
Best wishes to you both for a great trip. Would love to catch up for a beer at bluesfest.
Regards
Spanner
regards
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 1:02:39 PM

spanner1 wrote:
I am so envious of you guys and your regular attendancein Nola. Must come with sometime. Have booked blues cruise out of Florida in Feb next year. They usually have fantastic line ups on board.
Best wishes to you both for a great trip. Would love to catch up for a beer at bluesfest.
Regards
Spanner

Definitely will catch up for a beer at BluesFest

Well done with hitting the high seas

The Blues cruise will be great. I have been looking at those adds for years.

Don't forget that Florida is close to New Orleans do you have any time at the end of your cruise?
adellh
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:02:31 PM

great article from Offbeat magazine about music cruises :

http://www.offbeat.com/articles/concert-cruises/
repete
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2018 5:23:48 PM

regards wrote:
repete wrote:
regards wrote:
repete wrote:

Hi Mate

We can only hope

Where you staying?

Hi Mate

I arrive the Tuesday prior to Fest and might catch you on the Streetcar as Lisas pad is just off Saint Charles near the corner of Napoleon and Prytania.

Superior Seafood around the corner has 50 cent oysters during happy hour, so that is cool.

We are staying in the quarter for the whole Fest period though. But sadly my long term condo on Chartres is not available due to the new laws, which my friend is very pissed off about and she is now going to begrudgingly have to sell.

Anyway I will not be that far from you, as we are going to stay at a friends little apartment upstairs near the corner of Gov Nichols and Burgundy, so I am still close to Verti Marte. And a walkable distance to Fest.

I intend to watch as many of the old krewe as possible as things do not sound too promising for the Doctor and Charlie Neville battling pancreatic cancer is hard, and Art has never been the same since his back operation.

Post fest we go back to Lisas and I hang around for a while until the Bayou Boogaloo. This may be my last long trip for a while as Mum is now in her 90th year. and I have moved around the corner back in to the family home, to keep an eye on her, or vice versa. which is interesting but I am sort of surviving..

I have been very busy work wise since mid December and was unable to get to see Jumping Jonny. I look forward to asking him how he enjoyed his trip down here, as I seem to run in to him all the time as he walks around Fest. Sounds like it was a good show. I normally catch up with Rob Rowe from the Way Out West Club during Fest time the last few years.

On another note if you are near my neck of the woods on Sunday Feb 18, I am organising a fund raiser for our sports club and we have Richard Clapton as our main act.

Also maybe we can up in March as Lisa is coming out on March 4, and I have no doubt that you and Kristie would enjoy a drink with a born and bred Nola girl.

The Patry is still going to be the IronWorks according to my last discussion with Ken and then maybe next year we plan to move to the new Deutsch House site near Bayou Saint John just down from where the General Beauregarde statue used to be.

Anyway enough from me. I am going to go for a swim near Table Rock before it gets even hotter.

Cheers

I'm starting to review the whole lineup and thinking about giving all BNA's a miss!! The first weekend is just nuts, it's packed with so many people I want to see...but I guess I'll wait until the cubes are out before making too many rash decisions! Post fest we're having a couple of recovery days then it's off to Havana!!

I would love to catch up pre-fest. Feb 18 is a challenge, but maybe March (except the long weekend as we'll be at Womad) - it would be cool to meet Lisa:)

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
deapeasea0000
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 10:44:33 AM

sorry to derail the conversation here but i'm going to be in new orleans in september (first time). what neighbourhood should i stay in? keen for maximum music, hate tacky touristy stuff.
Kowalksi
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 11:09:18 AM

deapeasea0000 wrote:
sorry to derail the conversation here but i'm going to be in new orleans in september (first time). what neighbourhood should i stay in? keen for maximum music, hate tacky touristy stuff.

The French quarter is great and by and large one of the safest places to stay. Bourbon st represents the tackier side but royal st is gorgeous (next street up) and the quarter is a nice place to walk around. Frenchman st is just on the outskirts and its easy to get to wherever u want to go with trams, taxis etc.
Kowalksi
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 11:10:10 AM

Mind u, its been a few years since ive been there. Enjoy though, its my absolute favourite city in usa!
repete
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 9:26:04 PM

deapeasea0000 wrote:

Very cool :) I have always said every music lover deserves to visit New Orleans at least once in their life. I have stayed in several parts of the city including The Garden District, Marigny and over the river in Algiers. The Quarter is gorgeous but I have never stayed there, the closest being a place I stayed on "The Bend of Bourbon" just outside of the Quarter, a lovely place but I don't think it's there any more. Personally, I would be recommending Marigny. It's probably cheaper to stay in than the Quarter (although you'll be paying low prices in September) and in my opinion is just as beautiful, but in a different way. Lots of Creole shotgun cottages painted in all the colours of the rainbow. Honeysuckles and gardenias perfume the air. Frenchmen Street is in Marigny and in spite of a few negative comments these days about it being overrun with tourists and frat brats, it will be perfect in September (don't be alarmed, but it's still in hurricane season so tourist numbers will be relatively low). You'll come across more music clubs in the 150m stretch of Frenchmen Street than you could possibly conceive of. And the music is of the highest quality. The only music club I have any interest in in the Quarter is Preservation Hall. Music clubs are scattered all over the city - Tipitina's (you must go) is on the other side of the CBD not far from Magazine Street; The Maple Leaf (Rebirth Brass Band have a residency on Tuesday nights) is in Oak Street Uptown and next door is Jacques-Imo's (a must for dinner). You will feel the history of these two clubs as soon as you walk in the front door. In the Warehouse District (adjacent to the CBD) you have The Republic and The Howlin' Wolf; on Magazine Street you have Le Bon Temps Roule (Soul Rebels play here on a Thursday night); on Canal you'll find Chickie Wah Wah; on Carrolton Avenue you'll find the Rock 'n Bowl, a truly unique experience and if you're feeling adventurous, try Bullets Sports Bar in the 7th Ward. this is only a small taste of what the city has to offer. Above all, enjoy your stay:))

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2018 10:07:56 PM

deapeasea0000 wrote:

Howdy

I have been going to Nola consistently since 2002 but for the last 7 years have been spending between 2 and 3 months a year there.

In April May and September October.

What time in September do you wish to be there?

If you go in the first half you will get good hotel deals anywhere as it will still be bloody hot and humid, and lots of northern yanks stay away in that time.

A bit like going to Cairns in late Jan, but it can be warmer. This year was different for a week or so from early September but the cool front that relieved us, pushed the big hurricane over to Florida.

You can get Hurricanes through September and early October

There has also been a recent and much needed crack down on Air B N B and their Ilk but it has not been applied consistently in my opinion..

But you will be able to find numerous options for where to stay with a variety of price points.

The street car runs all night down Saint Charles, albeit less frequently after midnight, and goes down Canal until quite late as well.

The Algiers Ferry has changed that much, I am not sure what it does at present, in regard to finish time

Gentrification and profit taking by rich Northerners and others who had purchased lots of land cheap post the Federal Flood has changed some areas close to the CBD and the Quarter greatly. The Treme, Marigny, Bywater and Warehouse District being obvious examples. I could go on, but will refrain

But there is still lots of good music to be seen every night, both in the Quarter/ Frenchmen and elsewhere.

Plus the food is great, as are the happy hours, at some excellent music venues.

It is a balancing act now during non summer and most of the Quarter is very crowded on a Friday/Saturday

Just be aware that you need to be aware of random violence and other shit wherever you are and at any time.

No big drama mainly but be sensible and take a cab if you are a bit pissed or may look like a target.

I get berated sometimes for taking too long to lock my girlfriends car. And I could go on about my other fun and games.

Lets just say that I forget sometimes that lots of shitheads carry guns in the USA.

Anyway enough from me. Let me know what your proposed travel dates are, and I should be able to offer more assistance.

regards
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2018 9:00:11 AM

repete wrote:
regards wrote:
repete wrote:
regards wrote:
repete wrote:

Hi Mate

We can only hope

Where you staying?

Hi Mate

Cheers

I'm starting to review the whole lineup and thinking about giving all BNA's a miss!! The first weekend is just nuts, it's packed with so many people I want to see...but I guess I'll wait until the cubes are out before making too many rash decisions! Post fest we're having a couple of recovery days then it's off to Havana!!

I would love to catch up pre-fest. Feb 18 is a challenge, but maybe March (except the long weekend as we'll be at Womad) - it would be cool to meet Lisa:)

No worries I will keep in touch.

Lisa gets here on March 4 which is a Sunday and I plan to head to the Mordialloc festival that day to see the Black Sorrows amongst others.
deapeasea0000
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 2:37:01 PM

repete wrote:
deapeasea0000 wrote:

Very cool :) I have always said every music lover deserves to visit New Orleans at least once in their life. I have stayed in several parts of the city including The Garden District, Marigny and over the river in Algiers. The Quarter is gorgeous but I have never stayed there, the closest being a place I stayed on "The Bend of Bourbon" just outside of the Quarter, a lovely place but I don't think it's there any more. Personally, I would be recommending Marigny. It's probably cheaper to stay in than the Quarter (although you'll be paying low prices in September) and in my opinion is just as beautiful, but in a different way. Lots of Creole shotgun cottages painted in all the colours of the rainbow. Honeysuckles and gardenias perfume the air. Frenchmen Street is in Marigny and in spite of a few negative comments these days about it being overrun with tourists and frat brats, it will be perfect in September (don't be alarmed, but it's still in hurricane season so tourist numbers will be relatively low). You'll come across more music clubs in the 150m stretch of Frenchmen Street than you could possibly conceive of. And the music is of the highest quality. The only music club I have any interest in in the Quarter is Preservation Hall. Music clubs are scattered all over the city - Tipitina's (you must go) is on the other side of the CBD not far from Magazine Street; The Maple Leaf (Rebirth Brass Band have a residency on Tuesday nights) is in Oak Street Uptown and next door is Jacques-Imo's (a must for dinner). You will feel the history of these two clubs as soon as you walk in the front door. In the Warehouse District (adjacent to the CBD) you have The Republic and The Howlin' Wolf; on Magazine Street you have Le Bon Temps Roule (Soul Rebels play here on a Thursday night); on Canal you'll find Chickie Wah Wah; on Carrolton Avenue you'll find the Rock 'n Bowl, a truly unique experience and if you're feeling adventurous, try Bullets Sports Bar in the 7th Ward. this is only a small taste of what the city has to offer. Above all, enjoy your stay:))

regards wrote:
deapeasea0000 wrote:

Howdy

I have been going to Nola consistently since 2002 but for the last 7 years have been spending between 2 and 3 months a year there.

In April May and September October.

What time in September do you wish to be there?

If you go in the first half you will get good hotel deals anywhere as it will still be bloody hot and humid, and lots of northern yanks stay away in that time.

A bit like going to Cairns in late Jan, but it can be warmer. This year was different for a week or so from early September but the cool front that relieved us, pushed the big hurricane over to Florida.

You can get Hurricanes through September and early October

There has also been a recent and much needed crack down on Air B N B and their Ilk but it has not been applied consistently in my opinion..

But you will be able to find numerous options for where to stay with a variety of price points.

The street car runs all night down Saint Charles, albeit less frequently after midnight, and goes down Canal until quite late as well.

The Algiers Ferry has changed that much, I am not sure what it does at present, in regard to finish time

Gentrification and profit taking by rich Northerners and others who had purchased lots of land cheap post the Federal Flood has changed some areas close to the CBD and the Quarter greatly. The Treme, Marigny, Bywater and Warehouse District being obvious examples. I could go on, but will refrain

But there is still lots of good music to be seen every night, both in the Quarter/ Frenchmen and elsewhere.

Plus the food is great, as are the happy hours, at some excellent music venues.

It is a balancing act now during non summer and most of the Quarter is very crowded on a Friday/Saturday

Just be aware that you need to be aware of random violence and other shit wherever you are and at any time.

No big drama mainly but be sensible and take a cab if you are a bit pissed or may look like a target.

I get berated sometimes for taking too long to lock my girlfriends car. And I could go on about my other fun and games.

Lets just say that I forget sometimes that lots of shitheads carry guns in the USA.

Anyway enough from me. Let me know what your proposed travel dates are, and I should be able to offer more assistance.

amazing advice, thank you both so much.

regards, i'm still sorting the specific dates but looking like 13 - 16 sep. though now i know about the rebirth residency i wanna try get a tuesday in there!
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:56:47 PM

Bump! :)
repete
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2018 7:32:22 AM

First weekend is done and it was truly astonishing! The best five were:
David Byrne
Jon Batiste
...in fact Byrne/Batiste was a double and at one point I thought there was a serious chance of David Byrne being blown offstage...Jon Batiste was amazing. Anyway, it didn’t happen
Samantha Fish...I think you can almost guarantee she will be at bluesfest next year
Christian Scott - mind-blowing new music ( he calls it stretch). I had no idea he was Donald Harrison Jr’s nephew but then New Orleans musicians are all one big happy family. In my opinion, his talent was wasted with the Miles band.
Charles Lloyd/Lucinda Williams...oh wow, who would’ve ever thought Lu would end up in the jazz tent but she was simply magnificent. Her voice and emotional intensity was sublime and with the legendary Charles Lloyd on sax, it was perfect (and both paid due recognition to Charles Neville).

Special mentions:
Meschiya Lake and the Little Big Horns
Cha Wa
TBC Brass Band
Kenny Neal (and 95 yo Henry Gray who can belt the keys better than most blues pianists a fraction of his age)
The Deslondes
Sidi Toure
Steel Pulse

Piano Night tonight with a stellar lineup playing a huge tribute to Fats!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen