Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Thurs Night Headliner Options
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 6:32:58 AM
Groups: Member

yes but what about his colourful PAST????Whistle

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 7:51:21 AM

I've lived a life that's full
I've traveled each and every highway
But more, much more than this
I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way

And so on and so forth

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 10:45:09 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXg9KUiy00

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 11:52:59 AM

glenboss wrote:
Brettjack wrote:

This will be my first Bluesfest. Thanks for the tip on the colour coding Glenboss :-) How do I work out what’s clashing though cos I can’t see any set-times yet?

Regards
Magnolia500000

Has anyone else ever wished the program/schedule was printed the other way around in relation to the x/y axes (I don't know how else to explain it?)
The days/times should be printed down the side, and stages across the top, so that you can look across the page - left to right - for any given day/time to see if there are any interests clashing rather than looking up and down a column. Seems more intuitive to me?
I've taken to cutting the whole thing up and taping it back together this way, but it'd definitely be more user-friendly to just have it laid out that way to begin with.
Magnolia - colour-coding sounds like a good idea. For mine - I put a tick on every act I want to see, then an asterisk if they're only appearing once. Although whatever planning I make is usually thrown into confusion by walking past a tent at just the right time and discovering a band that wasn't on my list - like Dumpstaphunk last year. It's happy confusion, though.
The last 6 or 7 years I've also opened a memo on my phone and listed the acts I've seen that year at the end of each day. When you're seeing around 40 bands per festival you can forget some real beauties after a couple of years. It's nice to go back and remember those acts.
Also makes you realise what a bargain the 5 day ticket is at the price.

Magnolia500000 - You're going to love it. They usually release the final program about a month or so out from the festival so that'll give you heaps to time to work out your own schedule.

Brettjack, That's what I do. Times down both sides of the page and the tents along the top and I even put them in tent order. Jambalaya, Crossroads, Mojo, Delta, Juke Joint. Add a bit of colour to that and it doesn't matter what state of mind I'm in it's really easy to read/understand. I also don't cope well with army time. 19.30 I've really got to think about. 7.30 I don't. I also like to be able to tell at a glance what time the acts finish as well. My first couple of Bluesfests I was dissapoimted to have missed a few acts I really wanted to see so that's why I put the effort into planning it now. It's impossible to plan for the unexpected disappointments or the accidental brilliant finds so sometimes you've just go with the flow. With so much beautiful music happening you can't really go wrong whichever way you do it. One of my sons used to roll up and on the first day would ask "right, who's playing at Bluesfest this year". I just couldn't that. I never knew whether to hug him or hit him. Doing up the program is a labour of love for me.

[/quote]

Fully agree....I think the daily schedule is TOTALLY the wrong way round, especially given most people want to figure the clashes. I also think that if they persist with the current format of the schedule, that they put the times from earliest at the top of the page through to the later headliners at the bottom.....that way you are reading the natural order of the day.

I also do a daily colour coded schedule to help me sort who, and when, I will see particular artists. Black, of course, is not a bad colour - in fact, it means I have less artists to worry about clashing. Kendrick, NAS, K$sha......black.

"The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tchaikovsky had the news...."
glenboss
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 1:13:21 PM

It makes me happy to know that I'm not the only one walking around Bluesfest with a pretty colour coded precise program !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I don't feel so anal !!!!!

Thanks for the inspiration to colour this post Waffles
glenboss
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 1:17:54 PM

All we need now Bluesfest People is another announcement
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 2:34:13 PM

glenboss wrote:

Yep.....I reckon there may be some really good ones coming yet.

skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 4:26:49 PM

andrewfuller620000 wrote:
glenboss wrote:

I think people should maybe come to terms that the big names have already been announced.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 9:35:29 PM

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/03/08/stop-what-youre-doing-nas-is-headed-to-bluesfest/
Let us not forget that Nas was not announced until five weeks prior to Bluesfest 2017.
So for those of you waiting for this year's major hip hop announcement,there is still plenty of time.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
mgwfall
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 12:25:35 AM

skot20_58 wrote:
glenboss wrote:

I think people should maybe come to terms that the big names have already been announced.

Ear of the beholder of course, but can be a big difference between "some really good ones" & "the big names".
I'm all for the some really good ones (for my ears) even if they are not the big names.
Though, have been thinking, like some others here, another announcement, soon, would be nice.
andrewaw1230000
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:10:20 AM

Kesha's latest album Rainbow is great.
humanracin
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:18:45 AM

Still plenty of unknown or smaller names that would excite me:

Hollie Cook would be amazing , Yola Carter, William Elliott Whitmore, Daughn Gibson, Frank Fairfield.
andrewfuller620000
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:42:36 AM

mgwfall wrote:
skot20_58 wrote:
glenboss wrote:

Ear of the beholder of course, but can be a big difference between "some really good ones" & "the big names".
I'm all for the some really good ones (for my ears) even if they are not the big names.
Though, have been thinking, like some others here, another announcement, soon, would be nice.

That is exactly what I meant. "Really good" doesn't mean they have to be headliners. Many of the artists I like & enjoy are nowhere near being headliners.

Having said that, I still believe there may be one or two major acts to be announced.

nelson7007
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 4:41:41 PM

Latest message from Peter Noble today.

“Over the coming weeks we will send out more notifications including the Roots artists, Female artists, Indigenous artists, Legends and of course the Blues artists coming your way.”

So many more really good ones to come.

78 days to go and counting. Woo hoo!

mgwfall
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:31:43 PM

nelson7007 wrote:

“Over the coming weeks we will send out more notifications including the Roots artists, Female artists, Indigenous artists, Legends and of course the Blues artists coming your way.”

I'm sure there will be many more artists announced, but I read that email to mean they will send out more emails like this one, giving bios & links to already announced artists?
nelson7007
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:11:09 AM

mgwfall wrote:
nelson7007 wrote:

I'm sure there will be many more artists announced, but I read that email to mean they will send out more emails like this one, giving bios & links to already announced artists?

On re-reading I take your point. Letting my enthusiasm for the event get the better of me.

But why tell us more of what we already know? You’d imagine majority on email list would be already going or maybe that not the case.

glenboss
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:04:24 AM

nelson7007 wrote:
mgwfall wrote:
nelson7007 wrote:

On re-reading I take your point. Letting my enthusiasm for the event get the better of me.

But why tell us more of what we already know? You’d imagine majority on email list would be already going or maybe that not the case.

I sort of read it both ways. I thought since they didn't use the word announcement that it would probably be more of the same thing. At this stage I've got my mind set on all the acts announced so far. I'm hanging out for the new ones
eileenk9
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 5:27:03 PM

Of course there will be more announcements .. it's only January and there are gaps in the schedule to be filled. Hopefully some more "big name legends".
mccin0000
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 10:06:59 AM

Hi,

we've already agreed that its either David Byrne or Prophets of Rage.
rstroud
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 9:15:21 PM

eileenk9 wrote:
Of course there will be more announcements .. it's only January and there are gaps in the schedule to be filled. Hopefully some more "big name legends".

Indeed Eileen !e

You can't have headliners like Robert Plant et al without another headliner to balance out the crowds in the tents !

Rod S