Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Where are the Female Artists? Options
Maccain09
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2011 1:18:24 PM

Groups: Member

Let's be honest,  Grace Jones was sensational last year but all anyone did was have a cry because she was a few mins late.   The majority of female acts at Bluesfest pan out like this people respectfully watch the first 3/4 songs and quicky run away to watch and act they came to see - The exceptions are top quality acts Tracy Chapman - Fiona Decker - Lauren Hill - Mavis Staples - Jan Evans -are real stars will draw the crowds and rightly so! the modern popular female acts like-Joss Stone - Jess Mauboy - Pink - lil Kim - indigo girls - Toni Collete- Havana Brown - Holly Valance all would be a waste of bluesfest air time. That's just my opinion! For a real blues man its hard to listen to some teenage girl sing songs about kissing boys and ponies etc.
harveykeitel
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2011 2:22:17 PM

Maccain09 wrote:
Im glad theres no women acts this year. I hope none are announced. That Bonnie Casey last year was rubbish.

In all fairness Bonnie Casey was awful! I was pumped last year with the massive reggae contingent (Toots, Lucianco, Warrior King et al) and was looking forward to a truly punky reggae party. But then instead of Kingston's chart topper Warrior King, we get to endure a Bonnie Casey "set" which included covers of Dawn Penn's "You don't love me, no, no,no" & Bob Marley's "No Woman, No Cry". I later discovered the lack of her own original material (and inclusion of her karaoke hits) was because Bonnie had yet to release an album. Even my Irish heritage can not allow me cut her any slack (her father is Irish), because she was terrible. Finally when Warrior King did grace us with his presence it lasted all of 6mins.

Not to blame BF (I blame Warrior King), but please vet these "artists". Glad to get that one of my chest........
benjake
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2011 5:01:35 PM

Joan jett would go great B F ..
repete
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2011 8:49:25 PM

Patti Smith or Joni Mitchell - two of the greats...and I mean greats.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
HELLRAISER
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:03:20 PM

I third that Dallas Frasca should be at Blues Fest next year, she has a new album out next year! Would love to see some more female headliners - YES to Betty Lavette.. How about - Aretha Franklin, Etta James, Lana Del Ray would be awesome, Imelda May, ADELE! SO many great bluesy singers!
Jaylee1
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:22:42 PM

Marianne Faithfull, please

JT
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:36:02 PM

would love to see imelda may back again,especially with brian selzer rockabilly riot coming!

ARETHA-ill just keep dreaming....and say a little prayer.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 7:50:32 PM

Yep, she was great in the commitments!
woff555
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 12:41:06 PM

Susan T and Derek again would be awesome.
Joanne Shaw Taylor
Janiva Magness
Imelda May
Bonnie Raitt
Dana Fuchs

All would be great additions
timcook123
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 1:20:17 PM

Maccain09 wrote:
Let's be honest,  Grace Jones was sensational last year but all anyone did was have a cry because she was a few mins late.   The majority of female acts at Bluesfest pan out like this people respectfully watch the first 3/4 songs and quicky run away to watch and act they came to see - The exceptions are top quality acts Tracy Chapman - Fiona Decker - Lauren Hill - Mavis Staples - Jan Evans -are real stars will draw the crowds and rightly so! the modern popular female acts like-Joss Stone - Jess Mauboy - Pink - lil Kim - indigo girls - Toni Collete- Havana Brown - Holly Valance all would be a waste of bluesfest air time. That's just my opinion! For a real blues man its hard to listen to some teenage girl sing songs about kissing boys and ponies etc.

I thought the Indigo Girls went off last year!

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:48:29 PM

Happy 62nd Birthday Bonnie Raitt
November 8th

For an extended listening pleasure http://classicbluesvideos.com/video-details.asp?id=847&?Artist=Bonnie%C2%A0Raitt&?Song=Happy%20Birthday%20Bonnie%20Raitt

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
littlewillie
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:01:55 AM

Happy Birthday Bonnie, hope to see you in Byron next year!
swoody72
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:09:12 PM

I agree with all of the above - especially Patti Smith (I've been waiting for her to be on the bill for years) Chrissie Amphlett, Joan Jett.
What about Ann Peebles? Or Abbe May? Or even PJ Harvey?
freexone
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 11:22:22 AM

Speaking about Bonnie's, I reckon Bonnie Tyler would be another lady who would be welcome at BluesFest.
'Total Eclipse of the Heart' was a great tune..
woff555
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 12:05:08 PM

Another who comes to mind is Grace Potter
mccin0000
Posted: Friday, October 6, 2017 12:10:37 PM

harveykeitel wrote:
Maccain09 wrote:
Im glad theres no women acts this year. I hope none are announced. That Bonnie Casey last year was rubbish.

In all fairness Bonnie Casey was awful! I was pumped last year with the massive reggae contingent (Toots, Lucianco, Warrior King et al) and was looking forward to a truly punky reggae party. But then instead of Kingston's chart topper Warrior King, we get to endure a Bonnie Casey "set" which included covers of Dawn Penn's "You don't love me, no, no,no" & Bob Marley's "No Woman, No Cry". I later discovered the lack of her own original material (and inclusion of her karaoke hits) was because Bonnie had yet to release an album. Even my Irish heritage can not allow me cut her any slack (her father is Irish), because she was terrible. Finally when Warrior King did grace us with his presence it lasted all of 6mins.

Not to blame BF (I blame Warrior King), but please vet these "artists". Glad to get that one of my chest........

Some serious vetting has been taking place over the years. its been a while since we've seen complete and utter tripe like Passenger or had roadies for the toots and maitails giving it a go, Iris Mitten last year was super self indulgent and was carrying on like a real diva. Shes no Grace Jones or even a Fiona Decker you have to earn that clout... This years lassie seems to be the female version of Kirin J Callanan - "hes so cutting edge"