Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

BOB DYLAN X5 Options
bambambam
Posted: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 10:42:49 AM
Groups: Member

5 days of Bob might not be such a bad idea as it would lesson the crowds somewhat.
Bluesfest isn't the right venue for him anyway, better to see him in a small sold out venue.
Santana was crazy crowded this year, great show but the Mrs and I got sick of standing so we left half way.
Could only just see the top of one screen anyway, and a bit of the stage.
With Bob, you won't have the screens so why would anyone even bother.
May as well listen on those portable headphones they used to have and sit somewhere else.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
barryjmoore
Posted: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 1:36:16 PM

I've been following this discussion and I get the impression that an announcement of Bob Dylan performing at Bluesfest in 2018 wouldn't have the same impact as the announcement when he was first booked to play Bluesfest in 2011.

I remember at the time that it was seen as a real coup for Bluesfest to have both Bob Dylan and BB King performing that year. Apart from maybe James Brown quite a few years earlier (2004?), they were the two most well known performers ever to appear at Bluesfest. And that was the first (and only in our lifetimes) 6 day Bluesfest which also generated extra publicity. And even apart from the merits of Bob's performances at Bluesfest that year, he subsequently toured Australia again in 2014 so a lot of people would've had the chance to see him then.

And it's not as if Bluesfest has been bereft of big names since then. Just off the top of my head names such as Robert Plant, Santana, Elvis Costello, Iggy Pop, Paul Simon, Donovan, John Fogerty, Brian Wilson, Crosby Stills and Nash and Earth Wind and Fire come to mind. A much bigger deal would be if a mega name who has never appeared at Bluesfest eg Stevie Wonder, Eric Clapton or Paul McCartney was announced.

And if Bob does play at Bluesfest again I'll probably do the same as I did in 2011: listen to him for a while and then wander off to one of the other stages to hear someone else. Some people have already mentioned Grace Jones but on one of those nights I ended up at Jambalaya where The Warren Haynes All Star Band featuring that brilliant saxophonist Ron Holloway played some of the best music I've ever heard at Bluesfest (or anywhere else for that matter).

And for me that's the beauty of Bluesfest.
humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 4:04:25 PM

Bob Dylan playing 5 days straight in 2018 is even less likely than Neil Young playing once in 2017...
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 10:38:39 PM

barryjmoore wrote:
I ended up at Jambalaya where The Warren Haynes All Star Band featuring that brilliant saxophonist Ron Holloway played some of the best music I've ever heard at Bluesfest.
Indeed a magnificent set,as was Robben Ford with the sax player in 2004.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWjYuwTTrU
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, May 9, 2017 10:59:15 PM

bucetti1 wrote:
Dear Andrew I assure you there is no room in my life for frivolity. Suzie said that Mr Dylan is likely to do the following.
Night 1- the sixties Etc etc.The last three recordings won't be played.Hence the five decades in five nights .

Toured Au 1998,2001,2003,2007,2011,2014.
So 2017 or 2018 are logical return years.
Chances of seeing him again are 100 %
Chances of seeing Van Morrison or Tom Waits are 0 %

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:35:44 AM

Impeccable analysis

When they go low-we go high.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 12:14:15 PM

bucetti1 wrote:
Impeccable analysis

He will return & those who did not get in early to buy their VIP tickets & book their teepees will be knashing their teeth as the feeding frenzy takes place.
And he will perform in daylight for enhanced viewing purposes.
They will construct a special stage for him mid tent.
So that all who wish to worship around him,may do so.

c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 12:28:06 PM

so sayeth the bf soothsayer Eh?
Any relation to Nostradamus?

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez
bonddm20020000
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 1:30:04 PM

c0kebloke wrote:
so sayeth the bf soothsayer Eh?
Any relation to Nostradamus?

https://youtu.be/2-HSOTLYvTs
zabadooba
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2017 6:58:51 AM

I love Dylan and imo on his last tour he was on great form. Yes, the never ending tour goes on but he does tend to play the same set every night. Could I imagine Dylan doing 5 different sets over 5 nights? Unlikely I think. Additionally he cannot sing those older songs as they were, can't play guitar now because of arthritis and he is so renowned for adapting songs that casual listeners often don't recognise them.
The idea is great but highly unlikely.
unclerumple
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:01:02 PM

It's his birthday today. 76 years old.