Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Best Performances and must sees 2017 Options
bambambam
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:34:05 PM
Groups: Member

And Mrs Gales plays drums with Eric so yes you are dead on. (Why didn't I put that link together)
And while we are at it, Hatz Fitz is kind of the same when Cara plays percussion.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
unclerumple
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:51:34 PM

eileenk9 wrote:
bambambam wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:
Then you have that Au jug band band with the Conway Brothers who played Bluesfest in 2011.

That was Captain Matchbox Whoopie Band and I think that George Washingmachine was helping them that year too.
My wife loved the Honeydrops and she stayed till the end while I had a chat to cokebloke while watching Nahko.

Captain Matchbox Whoopie Band actually broke up decades ago but Mic Conway tours with a band called the National Junk Band. They played Bluesfest in 2009 and it was so much fun. Not sure what Jim Conway is doing now. He was with the Backsliders for a long time.

Jim Conway now suffers from MS and retired a few years ago. See http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/mic-and-jim-conway-review-mayhem-and-music-from-captain-matchbox-and-beyond-20150704-gi529y.html
eileenk9
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:09:12 PM

unclerumple wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:
bambambam wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:
Then you have that Au jug band band with the Conway Brothers who played Bluesfest in 2011.

That was Captain Matchbox Whoopie Band and I think that George Washingmachine was helping them that year too.
My wife loved the Honeydrops and she stayed till the end while I had a chat to cokebloke while watching Nahko.

Captain Matchbox Whoopie Band actually broke up decades ago but Mic Conway tours with a band called the National Junk Band. They played Bluesfest in 2009 and it was so much fun. Not sure what Jim Conway is doing now. He was with the Backsliders for a long time.

Jim Conway now suffers from MS and retired a few years ago. See http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/mic-and-jim-conway-review-mayhem-and-music-from-captain-matchbox-and-beyond-20150704-gi529y.html

Yes I know about his MS... he's had it for many years. I read he had been in the Burns Unit of a hospital recently after spilling a very hot cup of coffee on his lap.. because of his MS he didn't realise he had been badly burned. I always loved how Jim could keep a straight face and play harmonica while brother Mic was doing all of his silly antics in their Matchbox days. I wish I'd been able to see Jim when he was in the Backsliders.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:18:23 AM

bambambam wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:
bucetti1. wrote:
Jeff Lang and Ray Beadle were outstanding. Two brilliant Australian guitarists. World class shows

I saw Ray's set today & was intrigued to see that he has changed his focus from when I last saw him.
He covered three songs from the Paladins portfolio & one from The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

I like the direction he is going in too, and I was stocked that he covered "Keep lovin me baby" but I really missed the subtle key change in the chorus which he choose not to do, I think it elevates the song.

The honest truth is that Dave Gonzales is a very high plane for Ray to aspire to,and he is a fair way from that plane.
Which as a down to earth bloke he will be under no illusions about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWjYuwTTrU
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:12:14 AM

http://www.13thfloor.co.nz/?p=85975#more-85975
Doobies & Santana review.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
rexrose
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:06:05 PM

Some of my top acts were

Rhiannon Giddens although I thought she suited the smaller stages she played last year.
Patti Smith
Eric Gales
Busby Marou
Chasey Chambers
Jimmy Buffett.

It was a good thing that the forum members all stayed away from Jimmy's concert as it made for a very intimate affair for me and the handful of folk who were there.

Great weekend

Look forward to next year
donny20
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 6:40:17 PM

As usual you cant see everything.A great festival as usual.Opinions are like a........ everybody`s got one.Fave raves-FRIDAY-Roy Ayres,Devon Allman,Ellis hall/Vasti Jackson[thought Ray Charles was back!]Bonnie,Mary J[soulful lady,can`t believe she was bagged]Davy Knowles[great talent],Eric Gales,Trombone[always good],Californian Honeydrops[great new band]Melody Angel and Nikki Hill[great young talent] and Oka [flute and rhythms great mix].Unfortunately only caught Snarky Puppy`s last song,sounded real good.Saturday-Was watching Vintage,when I went over for Gregory Porter-didn`t go back-what a singer -what a band.The Record Company-amazing new talent.Chris Vos -excellent frontman.TheDoobies,Buddy -of course,Ray Beadle,and the usual suspects from Friday.Sunday-Ditto ,Saturday people plus Lloyd Spiegel[great aussie talent.Too many dudes at Santana,only watched about 4 songs,seen them plenty anyway.Slipped around to the mighty Devon Allman again.The body had given out by about 9 so unfortunately didn`t see Madness,The Jimi experience,or Booker T.Not many negatives music wise except Ian Anderson`s voice[sounded like an 8 year old kid.],and Rhiannon Gibbons.Was hoping for a rollicking banjo set [instead got Joan Baez.]Maybe I just got the wrong set.Thanks Peter great as usual.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:35:25 PM
Groups: Administration

We hear the festival director's favourite was Melody Angel.
Thanks for all the nice comments
zyfert
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:31:44 AM

A great choice.
Wonderfully humble young woman who played a storm.
Honourable mention to Devon Allman who played every day.
Has anyone ever done that before?
bucetti1
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 6:38:16 AM

Nicki Hill
But i stand corrected.

When they go low-we go high.
rstroud
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:53:40 AM

zyfert wrote:
A great choice.
Wonderfully humble young woman who played a storm.
Honourable mention to Devon Allman who played every day.
Has anyone ever done that before?

Lukas Nelson (Promise of the Real) did 5 sets last year.

Rod S
mgwfall
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:50:18 PM

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:13:03 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEOfdqGCmY
The California Honeydrops played 5 days this year.
I should have watched them more than once.
Which emphasizes the importance of You Tubing all the acts before you attend.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:17:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYtujkxG9X0
Surprising how many people in my location did not know what it meant when Suggs emerged with a towel around his head.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:17:46 PM

waffles
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:33:25 PM

once again I loved BETH HART,especially on Monday night(could have been that that little black number she was wearing) and her again incredible version of California.this gig was a very personal one for her with stories of her parents breakup and sisters addiction.
a moving performance.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
nelson7007
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 2:21:35 AM

waffles wrote:
once again I loved BETH HART,especially on Monday night(could have been that that little black number she was wearing) and her again incredible version of California.this gig was a very personal one for her with stories of her parents breakup and sisters addiction.
a moving performance.

Agree. Totally different second set that left Mrs Nelson and I gobsmacked which is no easy thing after five days of great music.

bucetti1
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 9:01:13 AM

I thought Vasti Jackson's cover of purple rain was really special.
I thought about it this morning
Prince died a year ago today.

When they go low-we go high.
amandalstuart
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 10:25:22 AM

The California Honeydrops were amazing! I saw them all five nights, they were a lot of fun. Michael Kiwanuka (and his fantastic band!) was really great too.
bender
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 5:51:32 PM

My favourites for Bluesfest 2017:

Food:

1)Jambalaya from Cajun Kitchen
2) Jam doughnut from Byron Bay Organic Doughnuts
3)Chicken & Chorizo Paella from Paella Time

Music:

1) Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue- The new tenor sax player went off!!!
2) The California Honeydrops- Their set in the Monday night was really good and the jam session in the crowd at the end was a great way to end the festival
3) Mavis Staples- Such a brilliant performer who's passion for what she does is infectious.

Kids Prams/ trollies:

1) The pink & white Kombi styled trolley
2) There was another trolley I saw that had 6 or so different coloured lights

Moments in time:

1) The previously mentioned in crowd jam session by The California Honeydrops on Monday night
2) A conversation I had with the security guard in charge of the Jambalaya stage. Good guy who enjoys the music.
3) The lack of mud during the festival.